WRITERS, BLOGGERS, PROS AND PEEPS WHO KNOW THEIR BEAUTY STUFF
Five Natural Products You Would Turn For
Sun, 22 July 2012 10:50AM
What’s your stance on using natural beauty products? Come on, come clean…
Are you a natural beauty warrior, keeping it green and lean and not letting a ‘dirty’ product within a 10-metre radius of your pores?
Is it a nice-to-have? Two products side by side in a store and the one with the organic something-or-other ingredient that has no-added-can’t-pronounce-the-word may just sway your decision?
Or is it: “Natural beauty? Pish-posh, eco-disappointers more like – that stuff doesn’t work, tried it once, never again.”
Me? Why thanks for asking, you delightful sort, you. I’m leaning toward the first option. I do like it straight -up clean and pure and on the rocks au naturel – but with a big fat BUT.
The BUT? The products simply have to work and work just as effectively as – if not better than – the non-natural counterpart.
I demand the ‘Three Fs’. Form, Function & Fabulous.
And here are my three F-ing, top-5 natural picks. If these don’t have you slipping into Birkenstocks and cheesecloth whilst skipping with joy through a springtime meadow with glee then nothing will, eco-chicers. Nothing will.
1. Now I do admit to being a fussy little mascara lamb at the best of times. It is my weapon of choice and natural mascaras don’t always hold their own against the big guns. Then along came Korres Provitamin B5 & Rice Bran Mascara, $35.95, Kit.
Almost like an eyelash treatment in disguise, this mascara is loaded with pro-vitamin B5 and rice bran oil to help strengthen lashes and, gradually over time, will improve your flutter’s condition. The perfect everyday mascara that gives you everything you want from a mazzie. A glossy, rich, black finish, length, separation and some volume, all with a voluptuous brush. Wears like a dream, never flakes and mysteriously washes away in the evening without a dressing-gown-clad panda to be sighted in the vicinity.
2. Eco-Tan Invisible Tan, $34.95, Eco Tan. Admittedly this hasn’t licked my limbs for a few months. A Hobart winter will do that to a gal. But when I’m not hibernating and do don a faux glow this is without fail my go-to. The reasons are endless. To start, the colour tone, derived from cacao, is rich and oh-so natural. Being a fair bear I do tan with caution but this gives a gorgeous, golden glow every time and the nearest I’ve found to my own natural tanned colour.
It’s a white, rich, no-mess lotion. No tint here. That means unstained sheets, nighties, undergarments and white leather sofas (Yes, I left a stain once on my brother’s three-seater. Major faux-tanning faux-pas). It’s like a moisturiser with benefits as your skin feels so hydrated thanks to the aloe base and avocado and macadamia oils. The colour stays true for days but is also buildable. It is certified organic. Say no more.
3. Mukti Botanicals Sebogel, $20.95, Mukti. I’m not a huge fan of the name ‘sebogel’ but I sure as heck am a fan of the results of this natural, organic spot treatment gel. The formula is super-simple. Essentially certified-organic lavender, lemongrass, geranium and tea tree oils that combine in a gel to aid the elimination of impurities and balance oil production and bring breakouts under control.
Don’t underestimate it, this product has a cumulative effect on the condition of the skin and works overtime to haul problem skin back into balance and heal and decongest. A gentle, never-drying, everyday treatment that helps to get your skin back in check.
For me this was far more effective than any of the harsh chemical spot treatments out there. I can’t tell you how many bottles I have churned through.
4. Burt’s Bees Richly Replenishing Cocoa & Cupuaçu Butters Body Lotion, $19.95 , Burt’s Bees. Far and away my favourite, most effective body moisturiser. Super-soft skin guaranteed. It is so rich and creamy, the perfect treat for winter skin. Slather this on and you’ll be preening like a pussy cat all day at how delectably soft and strokeable your limbs are. The fact that you are left with the soft lingering scent of vanilla may just tip you over the edge.
5. A’kin Instant Radiance Face Masque, $29.95, 1800 631 283. My get-your-glad-rags-and-handbags-ready-I’m-going-out-tomorrow-night mask. Oh how I do love a good “does what it says on the tin” product! This natural mask brightens and gently exfoliates skin with natural AHA fruit acids and BHA from willow bark, which also works to unclog pores. Hyaluronic acid (vegan) gives skin a fresh, plump, hydrated feeling that serves as the perfect canvas for your going-out make-up base and the rosehip oil and pomegranate hit means you can glow-and-go.
Primpettes, what say you? Are you an eco-chicer when it comes to natural beauty?
What natural products deliver the goods for you?
Any ideas on how to remove fake tan stains from white sofas? Do tell.
- Julie Wakely, Me, My Best and I
Posted by: PRIMPED Posse