The Beauty Desk
The latest beauty news & views, direct from PRIMPED HQ!
5 Things That Make Us Smile
Mon, 18 June 2012 9:36PM
Winter, it’s what I like to call lounge season. It’s that time of the year when you really can’t be motivated to do anything, and the prospect of spending the night in, chilling in front of the box, eating cookies and cream ice-cream seems that much more appealing. On the upside, the slowdown in parties to go to and people to see also means that you can indulge in activities that are good for the soul, like spending time with loved ones and taking time out to pampering yourself.
We know we’re already halfway through hump month, June, but you owe it to yourself to try at least one of these smile-inducing activities before the calendar page flicks over. Deal? Deal.
With The Voice just wrapping up, we just couldn’t resist throwing in a pic of Australia’s happiest judge, Delt’s. Say cheese!
- Wear a punch bright nail polish in the thick of winter. Fact: wearing a pop of colour on your digits has the potential to boost one’s mood on a drizzly wet day by approximately 89%. Personally, I like the unexpectedness of seeing a coral number paired with dark, winter woollies for contrast, but if you’re new to brights, you can take baby steps, starting with a candy pink on the hands, and keep the bold hues, like turquoise, red, and teal for the toes.
- Post a letter in the mail. OK, so while Facebook, Twitter, Blogging and Instagram keeps us wired to the world 24/7, nothing beats the feeling of receiving a hand-written note in the post, especially just because. So, the next time you go to text a friend, try a little pen to paper action instead.
- Spend time with your loved ones. Just like red lipstick, your family and friends are for keeps, so it pays to free up some space in your diary to check in with your loved ones on a regular basis. Instead of letting the A team down, try penciling in one day a month that you can dedicate to spending quality time with your folks, or a picnic with your pals.
- Fall in love all over again… with past season’s clothes. I’m a huge fan of spring-cleaning, but when it comes to clothing and accessories, I always recommend you try your best to hold off on throwing things out. There’s an old saying, absence makes the heart grow fonder, so grab the pieces from your wardrobe that you’re tired of looking at and pack them away in a space-saving bag under the bed. That way, when you revisit the bag in a few months time, you’ll be as keen as mustard to give them another whirl.
- Stock up on beauty supplies. I’m a huge believer that you don’t need to spend a small fortune in order to look like a million bucks. Rather than splurge all your coin on a one-off facial or massage, try pooling your clams together to build your own beauty kit that you can use to pamper yourself in the comfort of your own home. When it comes to stocking up on the essentials, having a good brow and lash tint kit, body scrub, whitening toothpaste (our vote goes to Colgate Max ONE Ice, $5.99, from pharmacies and supermarkets), tweezers, face mask and lucky last, a hair treatment, that you can afford to use as often as you like, are a must.
What puts a smile on your dial when it’s cold out?
Posted by: Eliza Ashe