The Beauty Desk
The latest beauty news & views, direct from PRIMPED HQ!
Bye-Bye for Now, Primpers. It’s Time for a Beauty Break …
Fri, 21 December 2012 11:49AM
I live in Bondi. An interesting mix of people inhabit this beach-side suburb, I must say. On the one hand, you have the healthy, happy, shiny types, who are up at 6am, running soft-sand with a green smoothie in one hand, a blackberry in the other. On the other, there are the walk-of-shamers sheepishly crawling along every footpath, especially at party-season time. You know the type: a totally inappropriate-before-5pm dress, smudgy, squinty eyes, bedheady hair, bare feet… They kind of look like a Kate Moss paparazzi shot (Love Kate, I do, but she does often have the shame-walker about her, you’ve got to admit).
I have to say, I feel a little like Bondi right now. Sometimes, I’m on top of it all, balancing my work and family life with a healthy diet, regular facials, and a few tree poses. And then all of a sudden it all goes to pot. Not literally, mind you. I’m not quite out all night partying like many of my fellow Bondi-ites (more like up for hours soothing a stressed-out baby, possibly drinking a glass of wine to get me through it) but I often do feel something close to what I remember a hangover to be. And I often look it, too. If I have one particularly stressed day, the next one sees my skin pay hell for it, in the form of angry red spots and a tone that can only be described as blah.
In short, I’m ready for a break.
And, of course, skincare. Because while I need a recup, so does my complexion. And this is what I’m taking to help it along:
- Elizabeth Arden Peel & Reveal, $55, department stores. This paint-on peel-off mask is not only as much fun as a holiday session of scrabble (well, in my nerdy books anyway), it makes skin shiny and smooth and radiant like little else, thanks to its hydroxy-acid-packed powers.
- Dermalogica Age Smart Multivitamin Power Recovery Masque, $76, 1800 659 118. This luscious, luxurious mask plumps up skin incredibly well. It’s as close to you can get to a week at a health resort in a tube.
- Avène Instant Soothing Moisture Mask, $36.95, from pharmacies. We all know the importance of a face mask wardrobe (no? well now you do!), but on holiday I like to pack light (caftans and little else). That’s why this two-in-one is ideal; it calms and hydrates in one creamy hit.
- Shiseido Benefiance Pure Retinol Instant Treatment Eye Mask, $97 (for 12 cloth masks). As you might know, I’m a stickler for eye care, but when I need some extra help in that, uh, age-challenged department, I whack on some treatment cloths and wear them practically every night, whether playing said Scrabble or watching Love Actually for the 17th time. Yes, I am so glamorous at times.
- And the most important treatment: sleep. Lots and lot and lots of it. Lucky I’m holidaying with my parents. AKA built-in babysitters and sleep-whisperers. Clever of me, no?
So, hopefully I’ll be bright-skinned and bushy-tailed on January 3, when Hayley and I are back in our hot seats. It could all depend on the amount of champagne that is consumed over the next week … Watch this space!
We’re not going to completely shut down, though. Make sure to check in throughout the Christmas period for all kinds of tips on how to count down to amazing hair, skin and makeup for the new year, along with some brilliant inspiration for your beauty resolutions.
As for my resolution? Well, I’m still working on what my beauty one will be (as you can imagine, I’m pretty polished when it comes to beauty habits, being a beauty ed and all). But another is to make PRIMPED more all-out fabulous than ever. We have heaps of exciting plans for next year so I hope you’ll all be there for the ride with us (there might be a few twists and turns, but the scenery will be pretty, I promise).
You have been so wonderful to work for, lovely Primpers. Please know that you are as much a part of this site as those of us this side who write, produce, design, do the tricky techy stuff, sell the ads and count the beans. So thank you for making PRIMPED what it is today.
Ah, I feel a bit teary now. Christmas love, ain’t it grand?
Tell me, Primpers, what are your Christmas plans?
What beauty goodies are you packing in your holiday bag?
Posted by: Katrina Lawrence