The Beauty Desk
The latest beauty news & views, direct from PRIMPED HQ!
Happy Thanksgiving: 10 Beauty-Full Things I’m Thankful For
Thu, 22 November 2012 1:29PM
Although it’s primarily an American and Canadian holiday, I feel like Thanksgiving and the concept of giving thanks is something everybody around the world should take part in. More often than not – and we’re all guilty of this – we get so caught up in day-to-day life that we forget to stop, take a breather, and think about everything we are thankful for.
So, Primpers, from my amazing family to something as simple as my favourite nail polish that always makes me feel a million dollars, I’ve rounded up the 10 things that I’m feeling thankful for …
- I’ve been lucky enough to be brought up in one of the world’s most amazing families – if I do say so myself. And, without sounding too corny, my parents, big sister and little brother double as not only my family, but my best friends. Even though I try and tell them as often as humanly possible, I hope they’re all reading this: I love all of you and appreciate everything you do and who you are every single day.
- Aside from being loyal, kind, caring and generally all-round amazing, my boyfriend Michael is my rock. It’s as easy, and as simple, as that.
- I often forget how important it is to appreciate being healthy. Keeping fit and active plays in integral part in my overall well-being, so I’m thankful for being able to complete up to five dancing classes each week, go walking with my two beautiful puppies, and somehow fit it all in to what already is a hectic schedule. Working with the gorgeous Kat helps, too.
So now we’ve gotten all the really important things out of the way, let’s get down to the beauty business.
Next on the list …
- If there’s one thing that always picks me up when I’m having a bad beauty day, it’s a glowing faux tan. You know when you’ve applied it the night before, and then you step out of the shower the next morning you’ve got that beautiful, streak-free finish? While I am partial to St Tropez Dark Tan, which I raved about yesterday, I also am also a big fan of PureTAN Dark Instant Tanning Foam, $34.95, PureTAN. Keeping in mind that I have naturally olive skin, I wouldn’t say that it is as dark as the St Tropez version, but when applied with a mitt, it smoothes on for a more golden finish as opposed to a rich bronze, meaning it’s perfectly pretty for spring.
- Now while the aforementioned dancing practices are no doubt what is keeping me in my skinny jeans, I’m a little on the tired side, so dark circles have taken up permanent residency on my face. Which is why I’m quite thankful for Benefit’s Boi-Ing Lemon Aid, $39, department stores from November 1st. It’s the partnership of two standout Benefit beauty buys, Lemon Aid, which acts as a primer for your lids and Boi-ing, the concealer that, uh, conceals pretty much everything and anything.
- While Boi-Ing Lemon Aid takes care of the dark circles, one thing that makes me always look infinitely more awake is using the Shu Uemura Lash Curler, $40, select David Jones. I’ve tried more than a few in my time, but I continually go back to this one again and again because it really and truly works, leaving me with fabulously curled lashes.
- I’m sure you’d all I agree with me when I say that a slick of lip colour can instantly take your beauty look to another level, which is why I’m currently thanking my lucky stars for Nars Cosmetics Velvet Lip Pencil in Dolce Vita, $39, Mecca Cosmetica. Although it’s means I’m adding another lip product to my overflowing handbag, one of my beautiful friends recommended this to me a long time ago and I recently received it as a present. It’s a fresh and pretty dusty rose, perfect for everyday wear.
- I’ve been rocking a donut bun for a little while, but it wasn’t until I received a few tips on pinning my hair correctly around it that I’ve fully appreciated it in all of its time-saving goodness. If you’re yet to try one, may I recommend Lady Jayne’s Bun Styl’r? It comes in both light and dark colours and in two sizes, S/M, $8.99, and M/L, $9.99. Even if your hair is on the finer side like mine, you can still have a full and glamorous-looking bun. Available from December 1st, 1800 651 146.
- Of course, I am forever thankful for a slick of nail polish, my all-time favourite shade being OPI’s Lincoln Park After Dark, $19.95, David Jones. It’s dark and glamorous, and one coat gives a solid wash of colour and the perfect dose of attitude.
- I only yesterday discovered Priori’s CoffeeBerry Natureceuticals™ Natural Perfecting Minerals Foundation SPF15+, $70, 1800 808 993, and I instantly fell hook, line and sinker. I will admit that I have in the past been skeptical about mineral foundations, until I tried this. Best applied with a kabuki brush, it can be worn as a sheer cover or buildable for a fuller finish that looks instantly fresh and flawless. With proven results to reduce the appearance of redness, and dry skin, and even rosacea. It’s so lightweight that you feel like you aren’t wearing anything.
Tell me, Primpers, what are you currently feeling thankful for?
Friends, family, or even your favourite beauty products?
Posted by: Hayley Bennett