The Beauty Desk
The latest beauty news & views, direct from PRIMPED HQ!
My MBFW Beauty Survival Kit
Mon, 23 April 2012 2:33PM
As you probably know, 2012 Mercedes Benz Fashion Week is soon to kick off, with the first official shows hitting the runway on April 30th. In the meantime, a few pre-shows are taking place, so before we head into the madness that is running between hair and makeup stations backstage and from venue to venue, I thought it high-time I sort out my beauty essentials and must-have products to help me survive the week in clear-skinned, dark-circle-less, no-frizz style …
- Garnier Clean Detox Express Cleansing Wipes, $7.95, from pharmacies. I’m forever carrying around face wipes in my handbag to wipe off excess makeup smudges, rub over gritty hands when the Dettol isn’t handy, and for when I’m in the cab on the way home and need to get my makeup off – STAT.
- Klorane Dry Shampoo, $12.95, from pharmacies. It’s probably every beauty writer’s must-have but there’s good reason for this: not only does it soak up any excess oil, it also adds life to my blow-dry, providing a little extra volume and texture when needed.
- Bloom Cosmetics Secret Weapon Concealer Kit, $20, Bloom Cosmetics. Dark broody shadows are guaranteed to take permanent residency under my eyes for the week, so I’m all for any product that is small enough to fit into my clutch and does more than one job – this nifty number also doubles as a highlighter and even a blemish-buster.
- L’Oréal Paris Elnett Satin Supreme Hold Mini Hairspray, $4.99, Priceline. Hairspray is my go-to product for avoiding any disasters and/or fringe-separation issues, and since I use the jumbo size of this one at home, this baby version takes pride of place in my purse.
- OPI Nail Polish in Passion, $19.95, from department stores and pharmacies. While I’m still frantically trying to plan a week’s worth of outfits, it’s definitely a good idea to stick with a neutral-coloured polish. Passion is a slightly nude-peach shade, so it will pair well with anything I happen to throw on each day.
- Bobbi Brown Pot Rouge in Rose, $42, Bobbi Brown. I love me a multi-purpose beauty buy, and this cream colour provides the perfect rosy cheek and a soft, natural lip tint.
- Erborian BB Crème au Ginseng, $59, Bellabox. I’m currently alternating between Hello Flawless and this BB cream – it’s SPF25 and is ultra-moisturising, yet doesn’t feel oily on my skin. Best yet, it comes in a small, handy tube to fit into my makeup bag and a little dollop goes a long way.
- Scunci Grooming Bobby Pins, $6.95 for 90, Scunci. I always seem to lose my hair elastics, and bobby pins are ideal for creating a quick updo if required, or to pull back any flyaway strands. My hair is so fine that I can actually put it up in one bobby if I need to. True story.
- Illamasqua’s Neutral Palette, $78, Myer. Offering myriad ways to create a smoky eye, in both metallic and matte shades, it’s all I’ll need for five days’ worth of eye makeup looks.
- Avène Thermal Spring Water, from $9.95, 1800 678 302. When my skin is feeling a little dehydrated during the day, I spritz Avène for an instant refresher, leaving it feeling moisturised and cool.
And that’s about it! Plus the coffee and comfy shoes, natch.
What do you think, Primpettes? Do you have any must-have products you think I should pack?
And what do you stash in your bag whenever you’re packing for a big event?
Oh and which designers are you most excited about this MBFW?
Posted by: Hayley Bennett