Cracked finger nail (18 posts)

Ok so I'm probably going to be terrible at describing this but here goes... I have a crack in my nail near the tip which extends from the right side of my nail into the middle of the nail. This has caused the tip to become semi-detached which means it gets caught on everything! Plus because of where the crack is it's not possible to just cut off the detached part, I need to wait until the nail grows a bit more before I can do that. So in the meantime it's really painful when it gets caught and pulls on things because part of the nail is still attached to the skin. I've tried holding the nail together with nail polish but it's not really all that effective :( I've also tried just putting a Band-Aid on it but every time I wash my hands it just falls off which is annoying! Does anybody have any suggestions about how I can stick my nail back together in a way that will hold for about a week or 2?

Master Fan

Its_Jess

1694 posts

Last Post: 24-06-13, 04:11 PM by Its_Jess

reply to post

latest post

18-06-13, 12:12 PM

• Here's a link that suggests its possible to glue together! http://askville.amazon.com/Split-Nails/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=2759155

jo77Master Fan

2047 posts

18-06-13, 12:20 PM

• Yes, it happens all the time. :) But depending on how bad the crack is, it might not be possible to fix for long.

You have some choices, go to Priceline and buy some nail glue (I like Fingr's, please don't use superglue or any other kind of glue). Apply to the crack, and if possible a bit under it, and then press down gently with a orange stick to hold together.

You can also get a Fingr's nail repair kit, comes with some acrylic powder to set in the glue, works really well.

Last measure it to tear open a teabag, cut off a small bit of the teabag to suit the size of the crack. Apply glue, put the teabag piece over, apply a bit more glue to set it, and then gently buff to smooth it out.

CoconalMaster Fan

8137 posts

18-06-13, 12:27 PM

• Sorry, you can also go to any nail parlour and ask them to do an acrylic fix for you. They apply acrylic on top (a thin layer), so it's completely natural and keeps the crack together. Great when you know the crack will tear right across your nail and be REALLY painful. It should only be about $5-10.

Here's the glue I use - http://fingrs.com.au/product/991130/brush-on-nail-glue

Or a repair kit similar to this - http://www.manicare.com.au/hand-and-nails/item/ins-nail-repair-kit?category_id=14

CoconalMaster Fan

8137 posts

18-06-13, 12:33 PM

• Wonderful! I was wondering if there was a special glue to use for these kinds of things! I wish I'd thought to post this question yesterday before I went shopping, I could have picked some up then! But going shopping again tomorrow so will see if I can find that repair kit you suggested coconal :) Thanks for your help ladies!

Its_JessMaster Fan

1694 posts

18-06-13, 12:37 PM

• My pleasure, good luck. :)

CoconalMaster Fan

8137 posts

18-06-13, 01:09 PM

• Poor thing, I hope youre not one to wear stocking too often, that would be annoying. Maybe a little sticky tape (just being creative here :P)

lovefashionangelMaster Fan

2115 posts

21-06-13, 11:03 PM

• I would try a glue maybe have a chat to a nail tech or chemist

connor 777Master Fan

2623 posts

21-06-13, 11:08 PM

• Hi Jess
    I did the same thing a while back where I pretty much tore my finger nail off :( it hurt like hell , but as you described I could cut it off because it was too far down the nail bed.
    I ended up having what Coco described , I went into the nail salon and showed them and they just applied a gel or acrylic?? nail over the top of mine. They trimmed the nail as short as possible then attached a false nail tip on and did the gel infill. It was fantastic , only cost $5 and my nail could grow out under the tip... Took ages about 2 months !
    You poor thing... Hope you have sorted it out.
    Sorry only just saw the post.

Claire88Master Fan

4744 posts

22-06-13, 12:29 AM

• Wow $5 is awesome, thought it would have been much more expensive! I've cut the nail as short as I can and I managed to get some nail glue and I haven't had any painful moments since! Now just have to wait for it to grow out! I'm expecting that will take at leats a month judging by where the crack is! So annoying, but thanks for all your wonderful suggestions!

Its_JessMaster Fan

1694 posts

22-06-13, 12:43 AM

• i have tried using the tea bag- super glue method, but it doesnt last that long :( my nail cracked yesterday too and i had to cut them down really short, and it took me forever to grow them :(

Tina-1291133452Master Fan

1472 posts

22-06-13, 03:00 AM

• ah i just saw what you posted coconal about the fingrs nail glue, HAVE to purchase it and it give it a try :) do they sell it in priceline?

Tina-1291133452Master Fan

1472 posts

22-06-13, 03:01 AM

• I wonder if its because its winter that our nails are cracking easily. My nails are ususally in quite good condition but right now my index finger has a little crack in the top layer which isnt too bad, but will take forever to grow out again.

lovefashionangelMaster Fan

2115 posts

22-06-13, 11:25 AM

• I'm not sure, could be the weather! I have some maximum strength nail defence polish by manicare so I'm using that now to help strengthen up my nails! Hopefully no more cracks! :)

Its_JessMaster Fan

1694 posts

22-06-13, 11:57 AM

• Oh I have heard about that one it's _ Jess is it good I'm using one at the moment which is Sally Hansen and it's quite good my nails are so terrible right now so maybe it is the weather

connor 777Master Fan

2623 posts

22-06-13, 03:06 PM

• Ouch - is all I can say, but try to keep your nails short for a while to really strengthen them up.

canberraMaster Fan

964 posts

24-06-13, 01:56 PM

• Yes, Tina, Priceline have it. :) If you do the glue/tea bag trick well/properly, it should last you a fair while!

My nails are usually very strong but have got cracks in quite a few right now...I think it's the antibiotics from when i was sick though, it's very odd for me to have so many cracks.

I'm going to be trialling an acrylic kit so I will see if that works well for 'fixes'. No reason why we can't do it at home. :)

CoconalMaster Fan

8137 posts

24-06-13, 02:06 PM

• Yes Connor it's really good! I've noticed my nails are much stronger after using it! So for now I'm just going to focus on strengthening my nails up a bit before I apply any more polish over the top!

Its_JessMaster Fan

1694 posts

24-06-13, 04:11 PM

Independent Digital Media Network