Tips! Tricks! Techniques!
How to: Create Old-Hollywood Waves
Mon, 23 April 2012 12:07PM
When we spotted this sexy screen-siren style from the Revlon Professional Cinematic Collection …
… we just had to find out exactly how to get it. So we turned to Revlon Professional Australia’s technical educator, Olivia McFarlane, for the low-down.
Warning: it takes a little (okay, a lot) of work. But it sure pays off in the glamour stakes.
- Wash hair, and apply a detangler, followed by thermal protectant. Next, dry hair from underneath, which will create a more voluminous effect.
- Pin up the top section of hair – approximately from the eyebrow level.
- Working on the bottom half of hair, from nape up, use a small tong – the smallest size you can get – and curl 2cm-by-2cm sections of hair. Hold the tong horizontally as you go.
- Once you have completely curled this half of your hair, run your fingers through throughout it to separate the tonging work, then slightly back-comb hair, using your fingers. The aim is to create size and thickness to hold up your overall style.
- Now, to the top section of hair … First, create your part. A side parting will create the most old-school-Hollywood-like effect.
- Next, tong as before, but this time, work in sections of about 4cm-by-4cm. Once finished, smooth it all out with a natural-bristle brush. You want to break up the separation of the tonging, so that hair settles into a beautiful rippled effect, without any gaps.
- Finally, finish with a light mist of flexible-hold hairspray.
And voilà! Just add a little leopard print and your bombshell new look is complete.
Posted by: Katrina Lawrence