Day-to-Night Beauty. Jennifer Lawrence and Jessica Chastain Show Us How It’s Done
Wed, 6 February 2013 12:30PM
Yesterday, we oohed and ahhed over Jennifer Lawrence and Jessica Chastain’s pretty-in-pink looks for the Academy Awards Nominations Luncheon. Totally appropriate for a swanky lunch (complete with salmon tartare and French rosé, I expect) or, even, for a romantic date affair, it being our Valentine’s Beauty Fest and all.
But that was before we set eyes on them later that evening, when they stepped onto the red carpet for the Hollywood Reporter Nominees’ Night.
First we swooned. And then we took notes. Because each in her own way is a lesson in how to upgrade your beauty look from day to evening.
Take Jessica, for example. She lunched like this:
And ended the night like this:
Obviously, for such an overhaul, she spent the in-between hours with her hair stylist and makeup artist, so it’s perhaps not a change to attempt if you only have a few minutes to spare in the office bathroom … But keep it in mind for a weekend. And this is what you’d do …
- Keep your base (blush, too), save for perhaps another dusting of powder to perfect your look all the more.
- Sprinkle a layer of shimmer over your eyeshadow, but this time in a champagne shade, to brighten up your night-time look. Stila’s Kitten would be a perfect pick here.
- Leave your original bronze shadow below your lower lashline; as you can see the contrast of the two shimmers adds a glitzy bling that’s ideal for a ritzy evening do.
- Now grab a gel liquid liner in black and etch it all around the eye. Don’t be shy. This is your makeup focus. So build it up, wing it out, and go crazy on the inner rim, too. Try the new Face of Australia Budge-Proof Gel Eyeliner in Blackest Black or Blackest Shimmer, $9.95, pharmacies.
- Wiggle some mascara on the lower lashes, to balance out your eye look.
- And that’s about it makeup-wise. Although if your lips are a little dry from your daytime stain, dab on some balm. That’s all you need here. After all, it’s all about those killer eyes.
- Finally, flip your partline from the middle to the side. This is the ideal way to give you instant volume and root lift. Lightly smooth down the surface of your crown with an iron, and mist with hairspray to keep it all in place.
Now, if that run-sheet makes you tired from just reading it, JLaw will be your perfect day-to-night beauty muse. Because she only needed a few simple yet genius moves to go from this …
… to this …
Inspired? There are just three quick fixes you need to know.
- Perk up cheeks with a shimmery peach blush. You want a dewy look, so go for a cream formulation, like the beautiful one by Youngblood.
- Pretty up lips with lashings of a punchy, shimmery shade of gloss. Try Revlon Colorburst Lip Gloss in Hot Pink, $21.95, pharmacies
- Finally, shake hair out. If roots are oily and need a boost, dust in some dry shampoo; try the new Joico Instant Refresh Dry Shampoo, $25.95. salons – it’s invisible, so great for any hair colour. Don’t worry too much about the rest of hair; this look is meant to be casual and carefree. However, you could also mist in some sea salt spray and scrunch it through for a little extra texture; just go lightly, as too much on dry hair can turn everything into a greasy mess.
Tell me, Primpers, what are your top day-to-night beauty tips?
Posted by: Katrina Lawrence