Tips! Tricks! Techniques!
How to: Top Lip Tips, by Pout Expert Yishan Chan
Tue, 8 January 2013 4:42PM
The start of the new year is the best time for new beginnings, be it a fresh outlook on life, or simply setting your mind to completing that New Year’s resolution you didn’t quite get around to last year…
Three years ago, I embarked on a journey to build a lipstick blog to help women navigate their way through the lipstick jungle. Fast forward a couple of years (and countless dark circles later): I achieved my goal of writing my own beauty eBook, Pout Perfect, a guide to helping women build their lipstick wardrobe.
‘What compelled you to blog exclusively about lipstick?’ you might be wondering.
Well, our lips are one of our most sensual facial features, and yet perfecting our lips can be a bit of a beauty challenge.
So if you’d like your new year’s resolution to be accessorising your makeup look with a perfect pout, here are my top 10 lip tips to help you kick off 2013 …
- Be extra gentle when exfoliating your lips. The gentlest way to exfoliate your lips is to give them a gentle rub after a hot shower. Lip flakes that do not remove easily this way are actually not ready to come off. To help your lip flakes lift off, I recommend Lanolips Lemonaid Lip Aid, $15.95, pharmacies, which contains organic lemon oil to break down the dead cells.
- Protect your lips with SPF. Wear SPF lip products when hanging outdoors & avoid wearing lip gloss under direct strong sunlight to prevent lips from dehydration, sun burn and premature ageing. My picks: Maybelline Baby Lips Lip Balm SPF20, $3.95, from pharmacies, and Bobbi Brown Treatment Lip Shine SPF15, $46, department stores.
- Choose lip balm ingredients wisely. Everyone’s lips have different needs, and a balm that is raved about by one person may not necessarily be the best choice for you. Avoid beeswax if your lips dry easily, while petroleum jelly is one of those ingredients that you either love the slippery finish of, or hate that it’s little more than just a barrier. My picks: Jack Black Lip Balm, $12, Yes Style, Lanolips 101 Ointment, $17.95, pharmacies, or Dr Lipp Original Nipple Balm for Lips, $28, Mecca Cosmetica
- Bye-bye glitter, hello micro shimmer! If you’re still hanging onto your glittery lipsticks, it’s time to toss them out. The latest lipstick formulas now come with micro shimmer particles for a dimensional, lustrous finish without looking dated. My picks: Estée Lauder Pure Vivid Shine Lipstick, $45, department stores, and Laura Mercier Stick Gloss, $39, department stores.
- Accessorise with lip liner. Lip pencils are one of the most versatile yet under-rated lip products out there. Use it to neutralise your lip shade, make lipstick last longer, or use different shades to create an ombré lip. My picks: Chanel Précision Lip Definer, $48, department stores, and Rimmel Lasting Finish 1000 Kisses Stay On Lip Liner, $8.50, pharmacies.
- Try lipstick as blush. If you ever forget to pack blush in your makeup bag, a great emergency tip is to use your fingertips to pat on the same shade of lipstick to the apples of your cheeks lightly. Creamy moisturising formulas work best.
- Experiment safely. Never test lip products directly on your lips without sanitizing them first. It’s actually safer to test lip products on the pad of your fingertips, as they are a lot closer in texture and colour to your lips than the back of your hands.
- Light up with illuminator. Forget shimmery eyeshadow or white eye pencil. Applying liquid illuminator or highlighting powder along the cupid’s bow is the most flattering (and natural-looking) way to create the illusion of a fuller pout.
- Try red lipstick in your lifetime. After all, you only live once. I truly believe anyone can wear red lipstick. It’s as much about finding the right intensity and texture as it is about colour. For the minimalist I recommend a sheer red tint such as Clinique Chubby Stick Two Ton Tomato, $35, department stores. Red lippy aficionados will love the plush red By Terry Rouge Terrybly Age Defense Lipstick in Funky Ruby, $74, Mecca Cosmetica
- Build Your Lipstick Wardrobe … with my eBook Pout Perfect! If you find yourself purchasing the same shade repeatedly yet lusting after a change, then this eBook is for you!
The Pout Perfect eBook is available for $9.99 on iTunes or at Beauty Swatch.
PRIMPED OFFER: The first 20 readers to purchase a copy of the PDF edition of Pout Perfect will receive 30% off using discount code ‘PRIMPED’ at checkout. Note: This offer applies to the PDF edition only, offer not applicable to iTunes.
- Yishan Chan
Posted by: PRIMPED